What is there to visit?
Guide to your stay in Sciacca
Church of Giummare
The Giummare church, named for presence of numerous palm trees, was founded by Countess Giulietta Normanna in 1103, in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary. A cloistered monastery, it had been annexed to the church. Rebuilt in 1530 in Catalan Gothic style, it is divided into three parts. The central part, delimited by two pillars, is the church, while in the two lateral parts is the monastery.
On the façade, in the center, is a high doorway with a baroque-style window. At the top right and left are mullioned windows. The façade is completed by merlons that give it an image of a medieval castle. The interior in Baroque style has only one altar.
The forums are very beautiful with bulbous wrought-iron railings, grilles on the windows and the little corbels. The frescoes of the archway are by Mariano Rossi and at the center show the representation of the Assumption of Holy Mary with San Benedict. In the two lateral medallions there are San Pietro and San Paolo. At the top of the platform is the Holy Trinity. Beginning from the right on the first altar is the canvas of Mary’s presentation at the temple. At the second altar the canvas of San Leonardo and a little further on in a niche is the painting on a panel of Santa Maria di Valverde of 1400. On the high altar is the painting of Santa Maria Valverde dated 1704. On either side are, on the right the canvas with San Michele and on the left the guardian angel. On the left side of the main altar there is a statue of the Sacred Heart. Continuing, on the altar there is the canvas of San Biagio in glory. A little further on is the chapel of the Madonna delle Grazie where on the altar there is a beautiful marble statue of the Madonna holding the blessed child.